What are they and why does my dog get them?
What are hives? Hives are a skin problem that your dog may face at some point in their lives. They’re an allergic reaction to something that affects pets and people. They appear as round raised bumps that itch. Hives are fast to appear and generally develop within a half hour of exposure to the allergen. They can be caused by insect bites, topical creams, medications or even food allergies. Stress also tends to make it worse, as evident with humans getting a rash, bumps or extreme redness in certain areas.
Most vets will recommend an antihistamine to control the swelling and discomfort.
We recommend trying NATURAL methods first, such as:
- Hypoallergenic Shampoo Zymox or Barn Dog are great shampoos we’ve used in dealing with skin issues
- Use Ultra Oil, which is full of Omega 3, 6 and 9 for the skin
- Use Quercetin with Bromelain which is nature’s Benadryl
- Figure out what’s causing the allergy and eliminate it
- A homeopathic remedy called Apis 30c
Just because hive occurred, know the triggers and eliminate them and if they come up again, you know how to handle it without a vet or a medication or shot. Luckily Tyson never had an issue with hives, but if he did, these are exactly what we’d do. We hope they work for you, too!